Thursday, November 6, 2008

And the results are....

So before I begin to discuss what is growing inside of me (besides the obvious that it's a baby), I'd like to give a little background history. On my mom's side of the family there are 18 of us grandchildren, 4 of us are girls. Here we are. Mary Bridget on the left being the oldest, then Jane to the right of me, then my sister and then me.


Now we've all started getting married and starting families of our own and great grandchildren have been produced. Our child will be great grandchild #11. Up until this point my family has not produced a girl. So the pressure was on for me. My cousin's wife is pregnant and when she found out she was having a boy the girl factor landed on my shoulders. So I have to say as much as it is important to me that we have a healthy baby, I wanted a girl just as much as everyone else wanted me to have one. I don't know how to play with boys (even though I mainly work with boys all day!). I know girls scouts and hickory hill and softball. I don't know cars, I don't like getting dirty, and I'm not rough and tumble.

So yesterday we went in for our visit and here's the result:



In case it's tough to read and you can't see the blatant arrow pointing to the results, we are having a boy. I selfishly cried. I wanted so badly to give my gramma a girl. However, in being up all night (thanks Pokey) I've done a lot of thinking. So I have to give up my pretty girl name for now and return those girl clothes I bought, the fact of the matter is that this is my child. I've always wanted to be a mom and I always questioned whether I would be able to have children (just a feared I've always had) and I've been blessed to be a mom. So Eric gets his boy to name Eric Jr. and work on cars with him and do boy stuff with. However, We all know that a boy's love for his mother is like nothing else :). I hope our son is a combination of both of our best qualities.

It's interesting the questions that come up that you don't think about when you have children. First of all, the first question the doctor asked us was about circumscision. That did not cross my mind at all! Then Eric and I talked about getting the baby baptized and if we did who would be the god parents? We talked about religion and extra curricular activities and what being a parent means. We will have a lot of decisions along the way!

So even though I didn't get my girl this time, it doesn't mean I can't take over Hickory Hill again! And it doesn't mean that I will love this baby any less. And most importantly, it doesn't mean that I can't at least pick our child's middle name and stand my ground on this one! So (and Eric doesn't know this yet), the baby's full name will be Eric Charles Hamelin Jr. Charles is my pepe's name. Besides my dad and Eric he was the greatest guy I have ever met. He was so kind and gentle and caring and always made me laugh. So in 20 more weeks or so we will be welcoming our little man into this world and I can't wait for all the adventures that lie ahead!



Right before we got this next picture I said to Eric, "Now you have a boy to watch all your tv shows with", and this picture came up of the baby crossing his legs all ready to watch tv haha. He's got long legs like his mama.






Here's 5 little piggies :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you'll be a great mom no matter what sarah!!!
little league uniforms are just as snazzy as lassie league :)