Monday, December 8, 2008

The Week In Review

I had a doctors appointment on Tuesday. I went by myself because Eric wasn't able to get out of work early enough. Although he was tempted to somehow make it to my appointment at 4 in Worcester from Boston when he left Boston at 3:30. One of my concerns was whether I was gaining enough weight or too much but apparently I'm right on track, 12 1/2 pounds so far. The doctor says that everything looks great and the heart beat sounds good. It was different for some reason this time to hear the heartbeat knowing that it is my son's heartbeat and he has a sex and name attached to him this appointment. I feel much more bonded with him now that I know what he is.
Everyone tells me that I've "popped" this week which is not really my favorite thing to hear (you know "Wow! You've popped!!"). Frankly I wouldn't proclaim that to most pregnant woman to their face but I guess that's just me. My favorite thing to hear though is how good I look for being 6 months pregnant. I could hear that all day. Or how cute I look in my maternity clothes. Those are my favorite things to hear.
Eric has been able to feel the baby kicking a few more times. Everytime I tell him the baby is kicking (which is quite often), he tries to feel it and then of course the baby stops kicking. But Eric talks to my belly when he knows baby Eric is awake, it's really cute. If I poke my belly a little bit I can wake the baby up but Eric gets upset when I do that. He's very over-paranoid. I have a feeling that I will be expected to call the doctor at every little thing wrong with the baby because Eric will be so nervous (not that I won't but babies are so new to him).
So this weekend was a good and hard weekend. Saturday Eric took a class and then we went to the Union Christmas party at Union Station. It was really nice. The food was catered by Maxwell Silverman's (where we got married). We were able to see Alex, the manager at Maxwell's and he remembered us which was pretty cool. When we walked in the door of the party they gave us a raffle ticket. The prizes were great! I was half-heartedly listening to the numbers they were called when I heard my number called. I sent Eric up to get the gift. We won a $50 gift card out to eat. At one point in the night the live band played "Wonderful Tonight". There was only one couple on the dance floor but Eric insisted that we get up in front of the 300 people there and dance. So we did and it was really nice. Eric was so proud to have his family see his accomplishment of being in the Union. I'm so proud of him too.
So for the tough part of the weekend.... Saturday was also a family party that I ended up not going to. However, my sister called me before I had left for Eric's Christmas party to tell me that my Gramma (who just had two heart surgeries back to back) had fallen in her bathroom at 7:30am and no one found her until somewhere between 2 and 4 (it depends on who you talk to). She was on the floor yelling for help the whole time. It breaks my heart to know that she was alone and in pain for so long. She has diabetes too so anything could have happened to her during that time span. Finally a neighbor and my aunt and uncle got to her and called 911. They took X-Rays at the hospital and found that she had broken her hip. I guess this is something my gramma has always been afraid of. So yesterday they were able to do surgery at about 7pm. Eric and I had gone to see her. My mom and dad were already at the hospital. One of the doctors had come in to see her and told her that the hardest part of the surgery was going to be that she could have a heart attack afterwards because her heart is so weak (she's was recently told that she has cardiac failure and is on medication for it). When they came to take her to surgery she started crying which broke my heart. She has been through so much over the years and she is so strong but she was so scared. A part of her wants to meet my pepe in heaven but a part of her is scared to die I think so she got pretty upset. She didn't think she would make it through the surgery. When I hugged her she told me that she hoped that I would have a happy and healthy baby and that's when I lost it. Everyone was crying (even Eric) as we watched them take her to the OR. My mom called me at 10pm last night to tell me that she made it through the surgery so I have a little sense of relief but she's not totally in the clear yet. I really hope her heart holds out because she's going through enough with all of her health issues and a broken hip. The last thing she needs is another heart attack.
So that was my weekend in a nutshell.....

1 comment:

The Dunn Family said...

Hi Sarah-
I really was bummed that i missed seeing you last weekend. My Eric said you have a little belly and look so cute pregnant! Eli had a great time like always-I'm curious to see how he is when baby Eric is born. He wants a baby SO bad, but on the other hand when heiswith you and Eric he is the center of attention.I'm sure he'll be good, he is SO EXCITED!
I'm happy to hear that you and Eric are doing so well!You both are such great people-I'm glad you found each other:)
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother:( we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers:)
Talk to you soon!
Love-
Bonnie, Elijah and the fam!