Thursday, January 29, 2009

Realizations

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and it has suddenly hit me how little time I have left before this baby comes! The office that I go to has 4 different doctors and I'm in the process of meeting all of them just in case my doctor is not on call (although I really hope she will be!!). I didn't mind this doctor but she was very to the point about a lot of things. The doctor asked me if the baby was head down yet. I'm not sure how I would figure that out but she said he's not. She seemed a little concerned because he's kind of at an angle right now and she thinks he's heading feet first. Boy do I feel silly because all this time the bulge on my stomach that I always assumed was his bum because that's where I always get "kicked" may in fact be his head. So I might be getting punched instead of kicked. Which makes me want to send out a warning to everyone to watch out for this kid because he's got a mean right hook!

The doctor also said I've gained a decent amount of weight since my last appointment, yikes! I know I'm still doing pretty good with weight gain but no more McDonald's for me! The worst part was that right after we left the appointment we went to the Dunkin Donuts at the hospital and I got a chocolate chunk cookie and who happened to walk on by while I was splurging on this cookie??? That's right, the doctor! I gave half the cookie to Eric, he could use it. However, when I got home I pulled out the prenatal yoga video that a parent had given me and I did a 40 minute yoga workout. It was very relaxing. They have three women each in a different trimester so you watch the one that relates to you. Let me tell you, I'm glad I'm in my third trimester because it was easy and I cannot bend like the woman in her first trimester even when I'm not pregnant!

Another thing the doctor asked is whether we had taken any child birth classes. I've heard from most people that they're not really necessary but they don't hurt. Honestly, we weren't planning to go to one because I kind of don't want to know what's going to happen. However, my main concern is the pain medication aspect of this birth because if you know me, pain medication and anesthesia and me do not mix well at all. The absolute last thing I want is to being throwing up through my entire labor. So now I feel like maybe we should take the child birth class more for Eric than for me because I watched a session online and the woman running the class told the husbands to massage their wives for 15 minutes everyday. Maybe that'll hit home with Eric because he feels as if he should be massaged everyday. The good news is that if I do decide to take the class my health insurance will reimburse me for most of it.

The other thing I have to do is pick a pediatrician. My mom had gotten me a list of pediatricians at the hospital but I don't know which one to pick. I looked them all up online and they all seem to have the same amount of experience and they all accept my insurance. However, it doesn't tell you online what kind of personality they have. I think there should be a mention of "Dr. So and so is a little cranky and really doesn't like children but flunked out of heart surgery" or something! I might just have to pick one and then if I don't like them I can just change to a different doctor. But how horrible is that? When you see a different doctor in the same office and run into the old doctor all the time, what do you say? I did this at my dentist's office. I didn't like my hygenist so I changed but I see the old one every time I go in there and she's always so nice. I feel so bad every time!

We still haven't set up the baby room. Just when we get geared up to tell Eric's uncle which paint colors to get us the window in the baby room starts leaking again and I get discouraged. Personally, I just want to slap the wallpaper border up and call it a day because this room will leak right up until the baby is born I'm assuming unless winter lasts until August. The place we live at will get a strong hint next fall, it's called, clean out the gutters of leaves before winter there smarties. I told Eric we should just set up the furniture, slap the wallpaper border on and be happy with that but he insists on painting. Oh Eric! When we first moved here I was excited that we could paint the walls and make the baby room look like a real baby room but at this point I'm not picky. I just want it done before my shower so I can put everything where it needs to go.

1 comment:

The Dunn Family said...

I know that you are busy, but some doctors will actually sit down and meet with you before the baby is born, which might help with the personality thing, and set your mind at ease.It sounds sad, but all of our children see the pediatricians I had growing up..my favorite one just turned 70 about a month ago and is still going strong! I do however feel like his wife is like I married a doctor are we ever going to have time to ourselves or travel!!