Sunday, September 13, 2009

6 months old

I cannot believe that Eric is 6 months old today. I feel like overnight he went from a baby to a little boy. I realized this week that just putting him on a blanket on the floor with a couple of toys around him was not going to be enough anymore. So thankfully my friend Marissa donated some toys to us during these tough economic times :). She let us borrow an excersaucer, a walker that converts into just a toy, a ball toy that shoots balls in the air, a drum that when you hit it it sings, and some legos. He LOVES the excersaucer. Or shall I say, he LOVES chewing on everything on the excersaucer.

On Thursday he came up with a new voice. He started growling. At first I thought maybe he was just losing his voice but when he continued on for two days I realized that he really is playing with his voice. Unfortunately, before I could record this new voice he stopped doing it. About once a day he'll do it but it's not all day like it first was.

For over three years I worked with children with autism that were mostly around the age of 2. What amazes me about Eric is that the things that we worked months to teach kids, he can already do. If I point to something he can follow my point. He responds to voices with eye contact. He responds to his name (when he wants to). I got so used to being around kids with autism that it's pretty amazing the contrast of how kids who are typically developing just naturally do these things where as kids with autism have to be taught.

Ok now for some pictures and videos.

I forgot to post this one last week. My friend Marissa's husband is a manager for Papa Ginos. For years now (even before he became a manager) we have been getting together for Papa Ginos pizza once a month. This tradition has continued all through Sydney growing up and now Eric has grown up coming to Papa Ginos every week. Normally when I bring him to a restaurant he stays in his carseat. The other week I decided to try out this thing that someone had given to me. It's a little thing that helps him sit up in a regular high chair at restaurants. It's also meant for carriages at the grocery store but we haven't tried that yet. Needless to say he loved it. It was nice to be able to have him be more a part of the dinner table. Here he is:


This is his new (borrowed) excersaucer. He turns all around in it and trys out or eats every toy!


Here's his big boy 6 month old pictures. He wasn't as smiley during these because he was in need of a nap. There's not a lot of room in the chair for him and his teddy bear anymore!







I love my thumb:




Here's a video of him eating his excersaucer. If you listen careful he does growl in this video but it's for a very brief second. Enjoy!

No comments: