Friday, February 20, 2009

Baby Shower, Etc

I apologize for it taking me almost a week to blog about the baby shower. My computer crashed so I have to use my work laptop :(. I am determined to fix my computer so I can upload pictures and get all my documents.

The baby shower was on sunday and it was so nice to see everyone. The shower was very simple, we ate a delicious brunch, I opened presents, we ate some cake, and that was it! No games, no fuss, just good food and presents! We got a lot of nice gifts and tons and tons and tons of clothes. I don't think we will have to buy clothes for the baby for the first year of his life. It was nice to put all of the stuff we got in his room. It made the room look more full. The current task has been putting it all away! I have been washing his clothes, sheets, blankets, etc. It is my favorite thing to do. I've never seen socks so small! I can't wait to dress him up! Now we just need more hangers!

Last night Eric was in our bedroom and discovered that I was quietly in the baby room organizing and folding clothes so he decided to jump in. I don't know how he does it but he can organize things in such little amounts of time and make things look so much better than I can (most of the time)! He came swooping in and starting organizing all of the presents. He put together the travel system and some other items. He organized all the trash we have to throw away, folded blankets, put diapers away and suddenly the room looked almost ready for the baby! I would insert a picture here but again, I can't upload pictures at this moment in time.

The things that still need to be done...
Well since we didn't get our bedroom decorations and sheets from Target at the shower, I decided to ask my Gramma D if she could help me make curtains and bedding. That way I get to spend time with her and have home made stuff for the baby. She already made this really nice quilt that fit our theme so on Sunday we're going to get more fabric and get to work! The other things we need are more bottles, hangers, and a mattress for the crib!

I ordered the rocker and glider off of Target.com as well as the crib mattress. However, both were on backorder and not expected in until somewhere between March 23 and April 1. I was having a slight heart attack thinking about how close that is cutting it and if the baby comes early he will have no mattress to sleep on. So I cancelled the mattress order and ordered another one from Walmart.com that is coming on tuesday and saved us $30. It is so hard picking out a mattress. I called up my friend Marissa in panic mode about what mattress to chose to which she responded "It really doesn't matter. Don't go with too cheap and don't go with too expensive. A mattress is a mattress." Phew! So that's what I did!

So many things I did not know..
Now I know kids, let's be honest. I've been working with them for a long time. However, babies, I'm not as much of an expert on but I have always felt like I know enough. So one of things that we haven't bought yet is formula. There are so many different kinds and we don't know which kinds he will like or be allergic to. I foolishly assumed that the hospital would send us home with some until we figured out what worked for him. Although my friend Marissa had her daughter at a different hospital, she explained that that is not the case. Oh man! Another decision to make! So I asked her what she went with, to which she replied "Well I like pink and that was the color of the formula container and Sydney seemed to like it." I'm beginning to think that I'm thinking way too into things. So perhaps I will look for formula in a purple container :)

This baby is coming so soon. I'm excited but I'm also feeling like my life is in limbo. I so do not want to be working anymore but there's still more time for work and for the baby to come. So now we play the waiting game. The good news is that the baby will have a mattress to sleep on, clothes to wear, a few bottles to drink from, and soon he'll have formula!

2 comments:

Trauterman Family said...

That was the best post ever!!! I laughed sooo hard! I think you should go with purple formula too!!! =)

The Dunn Family said...

I've been waiting for this post and even without the pictures it was worth the wait! You are too funny! The hospital will feed the baby what they have which you can continue with when you leave. My Dr. actually reccomended Nestle Good Start when Eli couldn't nurse and had to be put on formula. I like you figured I LOVE Nestle chocolate milk, so how could I go wrong! The best advice I got was unless there is a problem with the baby taking the formula to stick with one brand and try not to change it to avoid gas and crankiness. I didn't want to deal with a crabby baby, or have him in pain so I did just that! They all have the same benefits, so you really can't go wrong!

I had my first prenatal appt. the other day..it was such a BUST! I just met with the nurse practitioner..she gave me a lot of useful info that has changed since I had Eli. One being the whole cold cut thing! She said no hard meat, but ham and turkey and chicken were okay, and no soft cheese, but I'm not really a brie kinda girl, I stick to american! So I FINALLY get to see the dr. in 2 weeks. Also they have this new (since I had Eli) genetic testing, so I guess at 11 weeks I get an ultrasound too. I just want to hear a nice strong healthy heartbeat, that's all! I have the BIGGEST fear of losing this baby:( But everything has been fine so far, just me being crazy worried!

I am so happy to hear about all the fun stuff! Your grandmother that made the quilt is helping you with the bedding? It should come out SO good, I LOVED the quilt! Have fun spending time with her and I'll talk to you soon!