Sunday, July 11, 2010

Boston you're my home

I've been wanting to take Eric Charles to Boston for a long time but I've been waiting for the perfect day to go. Today was that day. I had checked the weather and if it was going to rain it was going to rain in the afternoon and if we got there early enough we would miss the heat. I was excited to take him but at the same time it's not easy for me to go to Boston. I loved living there and going to college at Wheelock. It makes me a little sad everytime I go up there that that part of my life is over. That Heather's not there to take a walk with me and all the regulars that would be around are long gone. However, although Wheelock has built a giant new building on the library green, it still has it's same old charm, minus that building. It's amazing how much some things change but at the same time are eerily the same. So today was a merging of my old life and my new life. It made me so happy to show Eric where I went to school.

So I parked in front of Wheelock and I did the walk that I think at one point Heather (my college roomie, savior, and bestest friend in the whole wide world who knows my old life and my new life) and I could do blindfolded since we did it at least once a day on every nice day in Boston. We walked (well I walked, Eric took a ride in the stroller, otherwise we'd get no where!) to the reflection pool and back. We went behind the MFA where it is so quiet and peaceful you'd never know that you're in the city. We walked past some of my memories from college while I avoided other memories that have no need to be relived!


When we finished our walk and Eric finished his lunch I let him loose around Wheelock. Here's where he went:

Good old 162 the Riverway. My home for 3 out of my 4 Wheelock years.


Walking down the Riverway



The Wheelock Family Theater home of the start of Matt Damon's acting career as well as some really awesome and reasonibly priced plays. Hopefully this year they will have some good plays to take Eric to. It will be tough for him to sit through them but I know he'll really enjoy it!
This is one of the few pictures I was able to get of him actually looking at the camera (aka my cell phone). He was having a blast running around!











Here it is, the reflection pool. If you've never been to this part of the city it comes out of nowhere. You're walking past Northeastern, past Symphany Hall and then boom! There it is out of nowhere. I feel it is the most beautiful, peaceful place in the whole city.



They had a fountain that people could run through at the end of the reflection pool. I kept Eric in the stroller because he would have gone diving in and one of the fountain rules was no kids in diapers allowed. I'm not sure why but either way I didn't have a change of clothes anyways and the water pressure was pretty strong so we just looked at it.






Checking out the scenary. Throughout most of the walk Eric just kept saying "wow! Wow!" He loved the cars and the people and the hustle and bustle of the city.


So pretty. I could not for the life of me get Eric to look at me for this picture because of all the cars driving by.



It was such a nice visit. We were literally in Boston for under 2 hours but it was great. The city allows me to clear my head and just relax like no other place. The funniest part of our visit was when some guy asked me directions some where. I know the city like the back of my hand and I know where everything is but when I was in college, and apparently it remains true today, when someone asks me where something is I suddenly have no idea. We were just heading on to the Riverway when some guy asked me which direction the Charles River was and I couldn't tell him which is awesome because I drove right by it on our way in haha. After he walked past me I felt like such an idiot when I came out of the clouds and knew exactly where the Charles River is in relation to where we were. When I was in college someone asked me where Brookline Ave was when I was on Brookline Ave and I couldn't tell them even though in the after thought I knew I was on Brookline Ave. Oh boy!

No comments: