Friday, April 17, 2009

Such a big boy

Today Eric had his 1 month appointment. We were anxious to find out how big he is now. He is now 8 lbs 11oz and 21 1/2 inches long. He's grown so much in two weeks! Now he's the size of most newborn babies :). He also got a shot today and handled it very well. His daddy however did not handle it very well and eventually needs to try not to show his fear of shots in front of Eric but for now he turns his back and stands in the corner while the baby gets shots. We talked to the nurse about the baby seeming congested and spitting up a lot recently as well as his extreme amounts of gas. So we need to get him some medicine for his gas and then she wants us to put him on medicine for reflux which I'm not totally sold that he has so we may wait a week or so to put him on that medicine but we will see. He also needs to see a urologist but I won't get into details of why. So now I need to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon for his extra "thumbkin" and an appointment with the urologist. Poor little guy. He's such a trooper though. He handles going to the doctors pretty well.

Last night the baby did not sleep well. I got very excited because he slept from 7pm until after midnight so I thought maybe this would be a sign for the rest of the night. Why he can sleep for 5 hours during the day but not in the most crucial parts of the night, I do not know. So needless to say last night there was a lot of spitting up and waking up all night long. I was so tired. Eric did help at one point because I just couldn't get up one more time to rock him. Whatever I was doing was not working. This morning he woke up at 8am to be fed and I couldn't even see straight so I asked Eric if he could feed him and get him dressed and play with him for a little bit. I just needed an hour of uninterupted sleep. Thankfully Eric bit his tongue about the baby keeping him up all night because he has a tendency to tell me this which technically he hears him on the monitor and wakes up but I'm the one physically getting up with him. So when I awoke an hour later I didn't hear either of my Erics upstairs. I went downstairs to find the baby happily swinging in his swing, the trash taken out, the bottles washed, the kitchen cleaned, and Eric was cleaning out the litter box. What a way to wake up! Not only that but the baby had his appointment at 11am so I wanted to leave at 10:30. Eric went up to take a shower and knew I wanted to leave at 10:30. Normally he takes forever and we're always late but much to my pleasant surprise he was showered, dressed, and downstairs by 10:29am. What a guy.

Yesterday I went to my parent's house for a surprise visit with the baby. My mom watches Dylan on thursdays so it was a day of grandchildren. We had a very nice day including going on a nice walk. Dylan doesn't have a whole lot of interest in the baby but when I put the baby down for a nap and Dylan and I were playing, he picked up his blanket and said to me "I want to give this to baby Eric." So we went into the room and wrapped the baby up in the blanket. Eric was fussy for a little bit when I put him down which is hard to listen to but I told everyone that he needed to cry it out for at least 15 minutes before we all run to rescue him. The only one I let go in the room simply because it was so cute was Dylan. He would tell me "I go check on him" and then run in the room and come back out. I think Dylan will be a very good big brother once he gets used to having a baby around. He at least can get some practice with his cousin!

I had an interview on Wednesday at the May for a different position. I do not want to go back to work, especially to a different job. I don't plan on going back to work until June but when I saw the description of this job I figured I would at least apply and see what happens. I'm not sure I would accept this job if it was offered but the next day I received a call that they want to have me come in for a second interview next Wednesday and I decided to go. After all we are in a recession! It kind of would be wrong to not pursue a job even though this is the first job I've applied for since I was laid off. So we'll see how it goes. I thought I bombed the interview because I was so tired but apparently I didn't do too bad!

Now for some pictures:

Eric has found his thumb several times since he was born but yesterday he was all about it. I was in the middle of feeding him a bottle and I took it out of his mouth for a second and so he decided to suck his thumb. Too cute!

My mom got Eric a mobile for his crib. It matches his bedroom set very nicely! He seems to like the music it plays but hasn't quite discovered that he can look at it and see the animals move around too.
Here's his snoopy bandaid covering his first shot. However, it is very blurry because he couldn't stay still while I took the picture.

1 comment:

Trauterman Family said...

Nice snoopy band-aid! =)
Way to go BIG Eric! Keep up the good work!
Someday Eric will weigh what Sydney did when she was born =) At least he got up to her height.