Thursday, April 23, 2009

What a week

This week has been quite a challenging week. Eric has been extremely fussy which has been very stressful. It became a constant discussion in our house of what could possibly be wrong. We had put him on the gas drops which seemed to work for a little bit and then I couldn't take it anymore and went and filled the medicine for acid reflux. The gas drops I still believe he needs but I'm still not convinced that he has acid reflux. We were beginning to feel like we were exhausting all of our options. We had a wedge under his mattress to keep his head upright. We were pumping him with medicine and he was miserable. Every night we'd sit down to dinner and think of things that it could be which normally came down to the fact that his stomach must really hurt. The funniest one was daddy Eric telling me that we "baby" him too much haha. So yesterday he was screaming and I assumed he wasn't hungry but I could not hear him scream for the next hour until he was due for a bottle so I fed him. It had only been 3 hours since he last ate and he sucked down a four ounce bottle. So I began to wonder... all this time that I thought that he wasn't hungry and could for four hours between bottles, maybe I was totally wrong. Judging by the last 24 hours that seems to be the problem. So we have taken a step back, no more acid reflux medicine, no more wedge under the crib, no more shoving a binky in his mouth every time he fusses as well as no more picking him up to save him quickly. This seems to work for now. I can only imagine what new challenge he will present us in the upcoming days. What we have decided is to stop over-analyzing him and panicking every time he spits up or fusses.

No comments: