Thursday, June 18, 2009

The 6 day Fever

Today (knock on wood) it appears that the baby's fever is finally gone...6 days later! It has been so frustrating because everyday I think his fever is gone so I cut back on the motrin and tylenol all for him to end up with a fever again. The last time he had a fever was at 2am and it was 101.5. The doctor said the fever is good because it helps fight the infection but it doesn't make the baby very happy! I feel like all day I'm feeling him and praying that he does not have a fever. I took his temp before he went to bed tonight and had a nice sigh of relief when I discovered that it was 98.4. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the fever is finally gone. This must have been one heck of an infection.

We went to the doctors yesterday for a follow up. I have my moments when I do not like this pediatricians office but I really enjoy them when they give us a TON of free formula and free tylenol samples. It saves us a lot of money! The doctor went over with us the tests that the baby needs to get done. He has to have a dye injected in his bladder through a catheter and then X-Rays will show whether his bladder is emptying correctly and that urine is not going back into his kidneys. They will also do an ultrasound of his kidneys. We're hoping that this UTI is just a fluke. Otherwise he will have to be on antibiotics for a long time until what's called "reflux of the bladder" cures itself when he grows some more. It feels like this whole nightmare will never end. I wish we could just give him the antibiotics until it cures the infection and move on with our lives. We will have the tests done at the beginning of July and then we will have a conclusion to all of this.

On the up side he is doing very well. He is happy (when he's not super gassy from the antibiotics) and chatty... his usual goofball self. And the thing I'm most thankful for is that he's started to get back on his regular sleep/eat schedule. The last thing I wanted was to go back to getting up every 3 hours with him! I did increase him to 6 oz bottles. It seems to be going better this time. He still is spitting up a decent amount but I'm sure a part of that is that his belly doesn't feel so great. He just has seemed so hungry after going through all of this. He also did not lose any weight. He is 12 lbs 5 oz.- he gained a pound since his last appointment!

Tonight should be a good night with no fevers!

1 comment:

The Dunn Family said...

That sounds like what Eli had minus the UTI.The ER diagnosed him with a Upper Respritory Infection. He had a high fever for 5 days, and EVERY time I thought it was going away and cut back he'd spike again and be miserable. I am glad he is feeling better now and hope that all his tests come back normal so you can relax:)
Bonnie