Sunday, June 14, 2009

The weekend from hell

I was so surprised when the baby slept from about 9pm thursday night until 8:30am on friday. I was very excited as well! I went in and got him that morning and gave him a bottle. After that I took him downstairs to play. He was doing his usual talking and laughing and yelling at his toys. He seemed completely fine. He started to get cranky so I knew he was ready for a nap. Normally he fights taking a nap and will cry and cry until he falls asleep. However, that day, I laid him on my chest and his whole body went limp and he was out in about 3 seconds. I thought that was kind of odd but I put him up in his crib in continued on with things that I needed to get done before he woke up.
He is not normally a long napper and I was pretty surprised that he napped for about 2 hours especially after he slept all night. When he woke up he would not stop crying but just would not open his eyes. This was again something he'd never done before. So I took his temperature and he had a fever of 101.5. I immediately gave him tylenol and called the doctor. The nurse there told me it was common for babies to have fevers (What???!!!) and that I should just give him a bath and continue to give him tylenol. So of course that's what I did.
Later on that day he still seemed horrible. Very lathargic and warm. I took his temperature again 2 hours after I gave him tylenol and it was 102.2. I went with my mother's instinct and said that we needed to go to the ER since it was after hours for his pedi office. We were at the ER for 6 hours. It was the longest night ever with a baby who couldn't sleep well because he was on fire. When they finally saw us they gave him some motrin and took a urine sample from him. They also gave him an IV and took blood and pumped saline through his IV. It was aweful. He was so miserable. Once the motrin kicked in he seemed to perk up and even smiled a few times. This is what he looked like with his IV in:




The test results came back and he has a urinary tract infection. They said it's not as common in boys and if it becomes a chronic problem we have to get tests done to see if his bladder is not emptying completely or if his urine is going back into his kidneys. That's a scary thought. They gave him some antibiotics in the hospital and a prescription and sent us on our way. They told us to come back on sunday for a re-eval.
Saturday was aweful. I was so worried that there was more than just a UTI causing him to feel this way. His fever didn't drop all day. It seemed like the tylenol wasn't working. He was so pale and tired but would just moan all day in discomfort. It was a long day.
Long story short we made it through the night and brought him back to the ER today. Thankfully they took us right in and told us that he definitely had a UTI but gave us a different antibiotic to put him on. They gave him tylenol and motrin again and he again perked right up and was almost his regular Eric self. His fever got down to 99 degrees which was the lowest it had been in days. They told us that we could give him motrin and tylenol at home since the tylenol just didn't seem to be enough. I wish they had told us that on friday!!! So as of right now his fever still seems to be down, he is drinking his bottle, and sleeping a whole lot after a long weekend.
There was much more to this story but I just don't feel like re-living the whole thing. Thanks mom and dad for coming over last night and giving us some company, it was much needed!

1 comment:

heathergfunk said...

Oh my god Sarah how scary!! I am glad he is doing better. You give him a big feel better smooch from me.
xoxo
Heather