We were scheduled to come into the Hanneman hospital at 6:30 this morning. I had to wake everyone up in the morning and at first the baby just fell asleep in my arms when I picked him up. However, he woke up after a little bit and was in such a good mood. Oh the guilt we felt because he had no idea what he was in for!
We got to the hospital and the nurses were so nice. They brought us to a bed and explained to us what the morning was going to look like. There was also this cute quilt on the bed from an organization called Project Liunus. I guess they make quilts for babies in hospitals. It just made me feel like we were taken care of for some reason.
When they were ready to take him to the OR, only one of us could go in and see him fall asleep. Since Eric is a little uneasy in hospitals I quickly volunteered. The baby was so happy right up until they laid him down on the bed and there were a bunch of people over him with masks on (including me because they had me dressed up like I was about to do the operation!). He screamed but they put the mask over his face and he fell right to sleep. It was hard to see and I held in my tears until after he fell asleep so he wouldn't see me scared.
I met Eric outside the OR and we went to the waiting room. Eric was just as much of a wreck. He didn't want to sit down and must have asked me a hundred times what time it was and how much longer I thought it would take. All of the sudden I saw Dr. Dunn and he came out to us and we leaped out of our seats. He jokingly told us the baby did great but he might have to perscribe us some vallium! He told us that the surgery was very simple and everything went fine and that we could see the baby soon.
The time between when we talked to Dr. Dunn and when the nurse came and got us felt like an eternity. I just wanted to be there when he woke up! He woke up screaming but once he opened his eyes, I gave him his silkie and he stuck his left thumb right in his mouth and was content. I knew he was hungry but I didn't want to just immediately give him a 7 ounce bottle so I started by giving him his sippy cup with water. The way he was going after his sippy cup I knew a bottle was in order. He ended up sucking down an entire 7 ounce bottle without any problems. We were out of the hospital and on our way home by 9:15am.
When we got home we all laid down and the baby passed out on Daddy. I stayed awake because I have a project to do for class tonight and of course I had to catch up on my blogging!
Right now he doesn't seem like he's in much pain but he's really tired. He has a bandage on his hand that we have to try to keep on for 24 hours so we haven't seen the scar yet. He is having a hard time staying away from the bandage so hopefully it'll last the whole day and night.
So here are so me pictures I took with my cell phone. I wished that I had gotten one in the cute johnny that he wore but we didn't put him in it until like 2 minutes before he went to the OR and then we put him right back in his jammies after he woke up to keep him warm so no time for pictures.
Right when I went to take this picture he sat up but here he is waiting patiently with Daddy, not knowing what was in store for him.

The quilt on his lap is the one from Project Liunus. I was trying to get a last picture of his extra thumb before he got it taken off. You can kind of see it in the picture.



1 comment:
I definitely cried through reading that blog. It's so difficult seeing your child go through something like that and also knowing they have no idea whats in store for them. I can't wait to see how it looks! Hope recovery goes well and fast! Give him kisses from his Auntie Rissa =)
Post a Comment