Friday, June 11, 2010

doctors updates

We went to visit my gramma today and she told me that she looked to my blog to get an update on Eric's doctors visits this week and I hadn't updated my blog. Sorry gram! Here it is:
On Monday Eric had another VCUG. I was nervous because he had a little stomach bug so I wasn't sure if they would be able to sedate him. Fortunately they were and he actually didn't have the bug that day and it hasn't made a reappearance since then. The unfortunate part was that the sedation wore off before they even started the procedure so he screamed through the whole thing. He had enough medicine in him to keep his body still but not to keep him from screaming. It's tough to see but I've almost become numb to it and I know how important the VCUG is in keeping track of his urinary tract so I just try to comfort him through it and hope that they move a little bit quicker to get it done. The plan for the next VCUG is that they will give him the sedation medicine as well as an IV so that if the medicine wears off they can immediately put something in the IV to calm him down. Thankfully if all goes well he will not have to have another VCUG for a year which is a nice break since he's had 3 in the last year, two of them being in the last 2 months.
On Thursday we went to see the Urologist to go over the results of the VCUG. He does still have reflux but it is improving. The reflux that went away in his left kidney has returned but the doctor wasn't surprised by that so I guess we won't be either! He feels that now that he's had the surgery he will most definitely grow out of the reflux eventually. The best news of that day is that unless there are any complications, we do not have to go back to UMass for 6 months. No more tests, surgeries or anything for a solid 6 months. This was music to my ears. By the time he has his next ultrasound he will be almost 2 so I will be able to explain more to him about what's going to happen to prepare him better. It may not help him relax during the ultrasound but at least he will know what to expect because that's the worst part, not having him know what's going to happen to him ahead of time.

So that's the trips to UMass for the week. Next week he has his regular pedi visit and then we can relax for a while which will be really nice.

On another note at the end of June I will be going back to work. As of right now I am going to be picking up more hours at the May working on the south shore. It is not ideal but my unemployment is running out and I knew I couldn't stay at home forever. It is going to be absolutely heart breaking to put him in daycare but at least I got to be home with him for over a year. We will all have a really hard transition putting him in daycare but we'll make it through just like we have everything else that goes on in our crazy life. We are interviewing a woman who does home day care tomorrow so hopefully that goes well because I don't have a lot of time to shop around for daycare providers. If I do work at the May as planned I will only be working 4 days a week so he will go to daycare three days and one day with my parents. However, no matter where I work, come september he will be without me 5 days a week because school starts and I have an internship to do. It's going to be a lot of change going on around here. I'm not looking forward to it. However, I am not winning the lottery anytime soon so I have to do what I have to do for our family to financially afford to someday be in a house.


Pictures:
Eric has been eating at the table lately instead of me putting his tray on his high chair. He looks so grown up when he eats at the table. Check it out:


As most people know, Eric is a very huggy snuggly kiddo. We went to visit my Gramma today and although he was talking to her he didn't really go near her. However, when I told him that we had to leave he went right over to her, arms stretched out for her to pick him up, and he gave her the biggest longest hug. I know from experience that his hugs are so nice so I'm sure my gramma really enjoyed it :)


Eric didn't want me to blog this video because he thinks his voice sounds "gay". However, since he never reads my blog anyway, how is he supposed to know that I put this video up?? And I had to, because it's really cute. Check it out:

No comments: