Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And here he is

What a whirlwind that occurred! Eric and I were completely shocked at the day that Eric Charles Hamelin decided to enter the world. Thursday night around 11:30ish, Eric was sleeping and I was trying to get comfortable but something didn't feel right. I kept having a decent amount of Braxton Hick's contractions. I was wondering if I was going into labor but tried to ignore it because I figured it was nothing. However, I couldn't get comfortable or stay still. I watched tv and then I went downstairs to sit up to see if I would feel better. However, something more than Braxton Hicks was happening and I finally determined this around 12 or 12:30 at night. Because it took me a while to figure out at first that I was having contractions I had no idea how far apart they were. The doctor said to call when they were 5 minutes apart for an hour. So I went upstairs to wake Eric up. When I told him what was going on his response was "Babe I'm tired." Haha he clearly didn't get what I was saying. He got frustrated with me because I didn't have any information as far as how long I had been having contractions and how far apart they were. So we started tracking them. We discovered that some were 3 minutes apart, some were 5, one or two were 7. I decided I was not going to wait an hour to call the doctor and thank goodness I didn't. We headed to the hospital around 2:30 and probably finally got to labor and delivery around 3 or 3:30. When I got there they examined me and discovered I was 8 cm dialated! I ended up having a c-section and right before that the contractions were two minutes apart. If I had waited to get to the hospital Eric would have been probably delivering the baby in the parking lot because at 4:31am our little bundle of joy arrived. The c-section was the craziest thing and frankly I think I preferred it over a vaginal birth. They gave me the epideral, laid me out and put a curtain up so I couldn't see anything. Then they brought Eric into the room and two minutes later they told me "You're going to feel a little pressure" and the next thing we knew we heard the baby crying. Eric and I started crying, we couldn't believe it. They brought the baby to the basinet near us to clean him up and stuff so we were able to look at him while waiting for them to stitch me up. He had a full head of hair! The nurse then said to us "he is very healthy and he has an extra thumb which is common." An extra thumb???!!!! Had he been spending too much time with Pokey??? He will get this removed in the next six months or so and it doesn't bother him at all. So they weighed him in at 6lbs 5ounces and 19 inches long. Then they handed him to Eric which he was not ready for but took him on like he was a natural. They put the baby on the bed next to me and wheeled me back to a room. After that we moved to the maternity wing and spent Friday through sunday there. The nurses were wonderful and the room was great. We had lots of visitors. On Friday I was hooked up to a lot of a machines so Eric took care of him the whole day. He was amazing. He changed diapers, fed him and held him like he had been doing it for years. Thank goodness for him because the first day I didn't move much. Eric slept at the hospital with me the whole time I was there which made me feel more secure. Once Monday came I was ready to head home. It was nice to have people taking care of us all the time but I had about enough and chose to come home a day early and have a visiting nurse come over the following day. Here are a bunch of pictures in no particular order because I just don't feel like putting them in order!



Pokey meeting his new brother. He doesn't really care for him. When the baby cries he just sits there wondering what's going on. I think he's a little depressed that he is not getting tons of attention but he'll adjust




All ready in his car seat, This is the typical position that his arms are in most of the time. He loves to stretch his arms out!





His going home outfit. The sweatshirt doesn't fit but it was cute so we put it on him. I brought different sized clothes because we didn't know how big he was going to be.






His going home outfit. The pants are huge even though they are for newborns.




Eric with his meme





Two Erics taking a nap




I just love taking pictures of the two of them together


Dylan meeting Eric. He was more interested in a balloon then the baby. He was a little confused because baby Eric is still in my tummy according to him.


Mommy time



Auntie Heather came all the way up from CT to visit


Eric and Dee (Nona)



Eric and Pepe Ray




Eric and Ellen who was having a heart attack holding him but she did a good job :)



Eric and John





Eric all nuzzled into Pepe. He is such a nuzzler!



The first day of life with Daddy working hard to burp him.




Eric and Great Gramma Decoteau



Eric is about the size of one of Nick's hands :)

Eric and Alisha

Eric and Kevin

Eric and a very photogenic Nana!

Eric and Uncle Ray who bought him his first football

Eric and Uncle Tyler

Eric and Auntie Rissa

Eric and Uncle Mike

Auntie Karen is very attached to Eric all ready

Daddy duties while mommy recovered

Here he is!

Proudest Daddy ever

No comments: