Last night was a little rough. Eric was introduced to a binkie in the hospital after his circumcision by someone at the hospital. We started giving it to him when we changed his diaper because it hurt for the first day so one of us would hold the binkie in his mouth while the other one would change him. Every once in a while we still give it to him if he is uncontrollably upset and we can't figure out why. Last night was one of those nights. However, the problem is that although he holds the binkie in his mouth with his hand, he tends to flail his arms eventually and out comes the binkie and he starts screaming. Last night we put him to bed at 8:30. He then woke up upset and the binkie war begin. Finally around 10 we decided to give him a 2 ounce bottle just to settle him. It worked for a little bit. Then Daddy played with him because he was wide awake. He was having him dance and drive a car, it was pretty funny. At one point I was called in the room when Daddy told me he wanted to show me his dance. He did the "dance" with his arms and then Daddy said "Wait that's not it, he got stage fright." I think Daddy was losing his marbles!
So we put him back to bed again after changing him and feeding him and he seemed to be passed out. Well he woke up screaming again so I put the dreaded binkie in his mouth. This calmed him enough where I could go back to bed and then 5 minutes later he would be screaming because it fell out of his mouth and he hadn't fallen into a deep enough sleep. I was up putting it back into his mouth every 5 minutes for I don't know how long. I even tried to let him cry it out but that didn't work. All I knew was that it was 1am and I still hadn't gone to bed. I was getting very frustrated because I didn't know why he wouldn't fall asleep enough where it didn't matter whether the binkie was in his mouth or not. This is the first time this had happened.
Finally I decided to feed him another bottle because I didn't know what else to do. Well he ended up sucking down 4 ounces (he normally drinks about 2 1/2) and then he passed out. Finally! I fell asleep after this. Daddy normally gets the late night shift because he seems to handle it better than I do. So Eric woke up at 4:30 and Daddy was wide awake because he had taken a huge nap the day before so he got up with him, fed him and changed him. Then he took the monitor downstairs because he was wide awake so not only did he feed him at 4:30 but he fed him at 7:30 as well so I could sleep in! What a nice Daddy! I was awoken at 9:30ish to breakfast in bed- pancakes, bacon, and a banana. Now I feel much better and I will be ready if need be to fight the binkie war again tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment